• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access.

By joining you will gain full access to thousands of Videos, Pictures & Much More.

Membership is absolutely FREE and registration is FAST & SIMPLE so please, Register Today and join one of the friendliest communities on the net!

You must be at least 18 years old to legally access this forum.
  • Hello Guest,

Thanks for remaining an active member on GayHeaven. We hope you've enjoyed the forum so far.

Our records indicate that you have not posted on our forums in several weeks. Why not dismiss this notice & make your next post today by doing one of the following:
    • General Discussion Area - Engage in a conversation with other members.
    • Gay Picture Collections - Share any pictures you may have collected from blogs and other sites. Don't know how to post? Click HERE to visit our easy 3-steps tutorial for picture posting.
    • Show Yourself Off - Brave enough to post your own pictures or videos? Let us see, enjoy & comment on that for you.
    • Gay Clips - Start sharing hot video clips you may have. Don't know how to get started? Click HERE to view our detailed tutorial for video posting.
    As you can see there are a bunch of options mentioned in here and much more available for you to start participating today! Before making your first post, please don't forget to read the Forum Rules.

Active and contributing members will earn special ranks. Click HERE to view the full list of ranks & privileges given to active members & how you can easily obtain them.

Please do not flood the forum with "Thank you" posts. Instead, please use the "thanks button"

We Hope you enjoy the forum & thanks for your efforts!
    The GayHeaven Team.
  • Dear GayHeaven users,

We are happy to announce that we have successfully upgraded our forum to a new more reliable and overall better platform called XenForo.
    Any feedback is welcome and we hope you get to enjoy this new platform for years and years to come and, as always, happy posting!

GH Team

The Evil That Is Prison

W!nston

SuperSoftSillyPuppy
Staff member
Reaction score
I've had many jobs in many different fields. One of the most stressful was in a prison.

In 1979 I took a job at a central intake prison for men. It was called a Diagnostic Evaluation and Classification Center. A population of about 4,000 inmates were brought there after sentencing. The average length of stay was about 6 weeks. There were new arrivals daily as an equal number were transfered to prisons across the state.

During their 6 week stay at the DECC they were given medical and dental evaluations as well as psychological and physical aptitude evaluations. A determination was made about any medical or dental treatment that was required. A further determination was made about their psychological health as well as their aptitude for different jobs within the prison system. Their prison placement was determined according to those evaluations.

On paper it all sounds so humane and fair but that was far from the case many times. Not every man was lucky enough to avoid the meat grinder of sadistic guards, incompetent medical and dental staff and the violence of everyday prison life.

The prison was divided into 4 cell blocks: A, B, C and D.

"A" block housed those prisoners who were permanently housed at the DECC. You would think those inmates would be the cream of the crop. No such thing. They were there because they had certain skills the DECC required. Many of them were guilty of murder, rape or other violent crimes. They were housed with the non-violent men who were guilty of a marijuana law violation, burglary, failing to pay child support and other non-violent crimes. "A" Block had a capacity for 400 inmates. Each had his own 8x10 cell arranged on 4 tiers. The showers were open and viewable from almost every angle but there were some blind spots.

"B", "C" and "D" Blocks were divided into 6 dormitories with bunk beds. Each dormitory housed 500 inmates but they were often overcrowded to house 600. Every night there were young men cornered and gang raped.

Almost every morning some new guy would show up for 'sick call' with signs of trauma about their face. Their eyes blackened and swollen. Tears running down their faces. Their white jumpsuits would have stains on the seat. It was obvious what had happened. The medical staff - if you want to call them that - would treat their wounds and send the back to the dormitory. The weaker ones didn't put up a fight so we hardly ever saw them unless they were badly damaged and bleeding from their mouth or anus. I don't recall any of them ever filing a report. It they did file a report it would probably have been disregarded.

There was another cell block not attached to the main campus. It did not have a letter designation. It was called Death Row. It was where those who were waiting for their sentence to be carried out were housed. This was where the Death Chamber was. In those days the electric chair was the instrument of choice.

"A" Block was not without it's horrors either. The permanent inmates had some privileges. Later curfews, movie night, more personal possessions and less guard interference. The cell block had a hierarchy of sorts. There were 'War Daddies' who controlled the black market and the punk parties. A lucky punk belonged to just one War Daddy. The rest were open for business to anyone who could afford 2 packs of cigs. On Movie Night there were cell parties. A sheet was draped over the bars to provide some cozy privacy. Only 2 guys allowed in the cell at a time. When one finished another would enter. You never heard any crying or pleading. The guards knew what the sheet on the bars meant. The War Daddies made sure things ran smoothly. They must have bribed the guards with something. I never found out what.

My job at the DECC was in the Aptitude Evaluation office. I administered occupational aptitude tests for educational level and for manual dexterity. I compiled the results and submitted them to the Administration. Every day I dealt with about 30 newly arrived inmates. There were 4 of us doing this job. Each of us had an inmate assistant. They lived in "A" Block. Everyday my assistant would update me on the 'cell block soap opera'.

My office was across the hall from the infirmary. I would see the men lined up for sick call every morning. Some were faking illness to avoid a work detail. Some were actually sick. Some were victims of violence.

On several occasions while I worked there I saw men who had been so severely beaten or stabbed they died. I'll never forget the day one man was wheeled to the infirmary on a gurney with the sheet covering him dotted with blood stains. He had been stabbed several times in the abdomen. Blood dripped onto the floor. It was gruesome.

Rape is wrong. I could never force someone into submission. By comparison the rapes seemed less violent than the beatings and stabbings but it was all like a scene from Caligula or something. It was a meat grinder where young men were ground into animals and victims.

I worked there for 2 years. Then I took a job at a long term care facility specializing in people with Alzheimer's disease.

Last edited:

mikey11

Reaction score
oh the humanity....

you would think in such a developed and prosperous country like USA (I assume you're American?) things are a lot better than the underbelly of under-developed world. Yet another reason not to break the law.

W!nston

SuperSoftSillyPuppy
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, I am an American.

The conditions for all inmates are not the same.

Most of the permanent inmates were able to avoid becoming victims and did not participate in the acts of brutality. Being small or weak makes one a target.

Shelter

Super Vip
Reaction score
Puuuuuh Sniffit - how could you endure to work on that place for two years???!!!

I think every morning when you are starting to go to work it must be like a trip to hell.
Your very fascinating story reminds me to an old HBO series called OZ.

dargelos

Super Vip
Reaction score
The position of the popular press and therefore alot of the public, is that these are bad men and if they are suffering they are getting what they deserve. Some of them are dangerous evil men who do need to be punished. But most are not. Most do not need to be there.
Custody for fine default is so obviously self defeating. Drug posession without dealing is no danger to society, addicts are only a danger to themselves and need treatment not punishment. The homeless are at great danger of pointless prosecution for crimes that arent crimes.
And worst of all, the use of prison as an overflow from the mental health system, which is an obscenity.

W!nston

SuperSoftSillyPuppy
Staff member
Reaction score
I watched only a few minutes of one episode of OZ. The scene was where some predator told his 'bitch' to "get your things for a shower" and the bitch said "i just had a shower" then the predator told him "you're gonne need another one when I'm through with you"... I never watched another episode.

The majority of inmates make it through without a scratch. The saddest part is they know what's happening to the weaker men and rarely do anything to stop it. The only way to stop what happens among the inmate population is from the inside. If the good, strong men were to stand up to the vicious predators often enough it might make a difference. But they are not willing to risk reprisals from the groups of predators, the guards and prison administration. So the weak are fed to those animals as a sort of sacrifice to maintain the status quo.

Law enforcement is riddle with corruption. Correctional facilities are even worse. Most prison guards were deemed unfit for duty as a policeman or deputy sheriff. They carry a chip on their shoulder that gives them motivation to inflict suffering on those in their charge. There are some good policemen, deputies and guards but they rarely expose their corrupt associates.

One of the worst cases I encountered and the one that led me to resign was when I discoverd a secret. One of the psychologists who 'counseled' the men was a predator too. I noticed the window on his office door was covered with paper to block any one looking inside. Sometimes when he had an inmate in his office for a 'session' he would lock his door. Once as I walked by his door there was a small opening in the window where the paper had slipped down. I saw him standing close to a wall very closely. I knocked on his door. He ignored me. I walked down the hall. I waited at the end of the hall. Just a moment later his door opened and an inmate exited, turned and quickly walked in the other direction. Ted stuck his head out and saw me, then smiled and closed his door again. I went back to his office. His face was flushed and I knew he knew I knew. I told my boss about it. He said I should mind my own business but that he would pass it up the chain. Yeah, right.

In my time there I like to think I helped some of those guys. I was a sympathetic ear and tried to treat each one as a brother.

Last edited:
F

frontlemon

I thank you Sniffit for this post: for depicting the heavy reality. It makes me ask myself: are we civilized because we are well endowed? The moment we loose our endowment, we too might become brutes?
The reason I ask this question is because its obvious that at least a majority if not all of the people who commit these brutalities are not gay and then you might as well see these very people acting homophobes when they are out in the "open"...

dargelos

Super Vip
Reaction score
It was a year and a half ago I read an interview with a US prison employee (presumably now ex employee) who told of how he enjoyed tasering inmates for fun.
"It was so funny to see them rolling on the floor crying with pain"
Is this story credible, sniffit, is this the kind of person a prison operating company employs today?

W!nston

SuperSoftSillyPuppy
Staff member
Reaction score
I am afraid so dargelos. Sadistic, corrupt power junkies who couldn't pass the written and/or physical evaluations for a policeman's job. They are hired by sheriff's departments, prisons and private correctional corporations (one of the top growth industries in America) and turned loose on a captive society with vicious predators ready and waiting to commit heinous acts upon the weak. It's free entertainment for them. I'm gonna post the Youtube video for Tool's "Prison Sex" below to help set the mood for this thread, lol, that was a little joke.

I was afraid of most of the guards at that prison. I am leery of most law enforcement types of any kind. If you know what's best you would be too. I don't mean any disrespect to anyone. It's just a phobia I developed from bad experiences.

Tool - Prison Sex (Official Video)

down_the_street

Reaction score
Some of it depends on the prison and the state, though. I spent about two years doing volunteer counseling at a state prison in Michigan. It was a minimum-security facility that was one of the few in the state designated for sex offenders (the pop was above 60 percent for sex crimes, to reduce inmate-on-inmate violence). The institution ran smoothly, with almost no violence and years between sexual assaults.

I have no doubt that some prisons are danger zones. But many are well-run, safe institutions.

dargelos

Super Vip
Reaction score
Was this low security prison a state run one? I am supposing that a state run institution will employ better qualified professional staff and a for-profit operating company will employ whoever will work for the lowest wage.

W!nston

SuperSoftSillyPuppy
Staff member
Reaction score
Keep in mind the time period I was speaking of. 1979 - 1981 ;)

But my faith in man's inhumanity tells me things have not improved but worsened.

That same prison I spoke of is still in operation. The state's Central State Prison is still notorious as a place of violence as are most Central State Prisons.

If you compare today's prisons with those of the 1930s or 1830s the quality of prison life is improved today.

If you compare prison life in any American prison to prison life in Mexico or Haiti our system may look civilized. Compare our prisons to Sweden or other Western European prisons our system may look barbaric.

Everything is relative. But the potential for violence and corruption in any prison system is undeniable.

There was a documentary I'm sure everyone is familiar with:

Quiet Rage: The Stanford Prison Experiment

http://anon.projectarchive.net/?htt...om/quiet-rage-the-stanford-prison-experiment/

It has been often repeated with similar results each time. It's human nature to be inhumane.

Last edited:

dargelos

Super Vip
Reaction score
So this was the era of nice kind Jimmy Carter when there was still some fairness around. It must have been downhill since then for prison workers.

W!nston

SuperSoftSillyPuppy
Staff member
Reaction score
I edited my previous post to add a link to a documentary about prisons and human nature.

xenos

Reaction score
The sad fact is that, as one person previously stated, the general public's attitude is that if a person lands in prison, he deserves anything that happens to him. Explain this to me, all you self-righteous Christians out there in this supposedly Christian nation..

Tragically prisons have become the dumping grounds for anyone that contemporary society doesn't know how to deal with or doesn't want to deal with. This includes the mentally ill. It is generally acknowledged that the Los Angeles County Jail is the state's biggest mental hospital, a hospital where the inmates get little or no treatment. The mental hospitals in California were closed when the Republican "saint" Ronald Reagan was governor. They inmates were supposed to receive treatment in outpatient clinics in their own communities. Not one, single clinic has ever been opened in the entire state. The mentally ill are left to become homeless until they run afoul of the police and are carted off to jail.

I believe that prisons are inherently corrupting and violent to all long time inmates and employees. The best employees don't last. A good case in point is the famous L. A. County Jail where a culture of violence was promoted by the sheriffs who patrolled the facility. The basic rule among the jailers was that any inmate who didn't cooperate would "go to the hospital." The problem of violence perpetrated by the sheriff-jailers became so bad that the Federal Government has had to step in. As a result, Sheriff Lee Baca has had to resign and, this past week, six Deputy Sheriffs were sentenced to prison, not for beating inmates, but for impeding the Justice Department's investigation.

I don't think the problem has been solved, just that a few bad people have been removed from authority. The new Sheriff has one hell of a job reversing the violent culture that grew up under Baca.

brmstn69

Super Vip
Reaction score
The biggest issue with prisons today is that many, including youth detention centers, are privately owned, for profit businesses. They have contracts with the states that guarantee a 90% to 100% occupancy rate. If the states fail to meet those occupancies, then the tax payers still have to pay for empty beds. As a result, many are sent to prison for relatively minor offenses. There is really no rehabilitation for these inmates, nor is there any incentive for these for profit prisons to even attempt rehabilitation. Repeat business is after all, the cornerstone of American industry. Currently the repeat offense rate in the U.S. is around 45% versus 16% for Norway. Most business would kill for that kind of customer loyalty.

And then there is the very worst example of corruption. Recently one of two juvenile court judges was sentenced to 30 years for taking kickbacks (bribes) from a privately owned youth detention center (or as we like to call them around here "Gladiator academy", because many are just as violent as adult prisons) in a deal to assure maximum occupancy. Many of these kids were first offenders convicted of VERY minor offenses. One boy was incarcerated for throwing a dinner roll at his step father for fucks sake...

tombo487

Reaction score
I know that most of this post has been about the US experience, and I do think this is different than in other countries. I spent 2 short periods in British prisons, both young offenders institutions. One is still standing and has a grim reputation (Feltham) and the other has gone (Huntercombe).

I never saw any violence from the Prison Officers. There were flare ups between the guys and they had to intervene and sometimes that was rough, but I guess maybe it had to be because we were angry kids. One of the POs, who was my personal officer, really helped me at Huntercombe. Actually, she changed my life.

I;m not saying that prison isn't evil, and that locking up kids is not a dreadful thing to do.

But I think I came out of there a better person.

Shelter

Super Vip
Reaction score
I know that most of this post has been about the US experience, and I do think this is different than in other countries. I spent 2 short periods in British prisons, both young offenders institutions. One is still standing and has a grim reputation (Feltham) and the other has gone (Huntercombe).

I never saw any violence from the Prison Officers. There were flare ups between the guys and they had to intervene and sometimes that was rough, but I guess maybe it had to be because we were angry kids. One of the POs, who was my personal officer, really helped me at Huntercombe. Actually, she changed my life.

I;m not saying that prison isn't evil, and that locking up kids is not a dreadful thing to do.

But I think I came out of there a better person.

Hello Tombo487 - you are really very courageous to tell us here your personal fate. And I think you are a very happy man to come out of there as a better person.

That it is from what I think a prison has to do.

But some posts here are speaking so as if prisons have to be banned. It sounds a little bit "the poor, poor inmates" and the "brutal guards". Perhaps it will be so - thankfully I have no experience and I hope as well I'll never will! But why the inmates are inmates? They are not there because they have done nothing. And I for myself cannot have sympathy with a murderer, or a rapist or a burglar and so on. I would be happy to see all these behind the bars.

Have had these now inmates any compassion with their victims? So why should I do it?

But I know as well that an inmate in a German prison is living like in a holiday camp in contrast to an inmate in an USA prison. And that has to be changed! Prison is no holiday camp but it couldn't be allowed to be a place of horror without any human dignity.

dargelos

Super Vip
Reaction score
I hate to disagree with you Shelter;
"But why the inmates are inmates? They are not there because they have done nothing."
Unfortunately some are there as a result of poverty, homelessnes, drug problems, mental health problems, false convictions. Or cases like brmstn quoted of a boy who only threw bread at his stepfather. It's these people I worry about, the ones who have done nothing, or very little, wrong.
I am not sorry for murderers and rapists either, but don't you feel something for those prisoners who are there only to assuage public opinion or protect company profits.

Shelter

Super Vip
Reaction score
Thank you Dargelos for your comment.

And as well I'm strictly against such prisons called "boot-camps" which are possible in the USA. These "boot-camps", so I've heard, are under private supervision. In my country it will be impossible to establish a "private prison" tolerated by the government. You are right, it will be a crime for itself to have such "camps".

But nevertheless a crime committed from the reason of poverty, homelessness, drug problems or mental health problems - will be a crime! Could you find any apology if you, or a friend of you, or wherever will be stabbed from a drug consumer because he needs your money, or your cell phone, or your wrist watch.

I think it has to depend from the crime how hard or less hard you have to be punished.

The drug consumer, from which I haved written above, cannot expect my mercy or forgiveness. The boy who threwed the bread to his stepfather has earned a slap in the face as hardest punishment. Perhaps he was right to do that!?

I hope so much, Dargelos, you will understand what I mean. I'm surely not ultra right winged! But we have laws and if these laws are wrong or inhuman we must try to change them! I know that sounds impossible - but if no one is doing the first step nothing will happen.

Last edited: