• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access.

By joining you will gain full access to thousands of Videos, Pictures & Much More.

Membership is absolutely FREE and registration is FAST & SIMPLE so please, Register Today and join one of the friendliest communities on the net!

You must be at least 18 years old to legally access this forum.
  • Hello Guest,

Thanks for remaining an active member on GayHeaven. We hope you've enjoyed the forum so far.

Our records indicate that you have not posted on our forums in several weeks. Why not dismiss this notice & make your next post today by doing one of the following:
    • General Discussion Area - Engage in a conversation with other members.
    • Gay Picture Collections - Share any pictures you may have collected from blogs and other sites. Don't know how to post? Click HERE to visit our easy 3-steps tutorial for picture posting.
    • Show Yourself Off - Brave enough to post your own pictures or videos? Let us see, enjoy & comment on that for you.
    • Gay Clips - Start sharing hot video clips you may have. Don't know how to get started? Click HERE to view our detailed tutorial for video posting.
    As you can see there are a bunch of options mentioned in here and much more available for you to start participating today! Before making your first post, please don't forget to read the Forum Rules.

Active and contributing members will earn special ranks. Click HERE to view the full list of ranks & privileges given to active members & how you can easily obtain them.

Please do not flood the forum with "Thank you" posts. Instead, please use the "thanks button"

We Hope you enjoy the forum & thanks for your efforts!
    The GayHeaven Team.
  • Dear GayHeaven users,

We are happy to announce that we have successfully upgraded our forum to a new more reliable and overall better platform called XenForo.
    Any feedback is welcome and we hope you get to enjoy this new platform for years and years to come and, as always, happy posting!

GH Team

2007 article: R&B singer Donnie reveals homosexuality

G

glamfunk84

From back in 2007:

2007_07_11_donniea.jpg

R&B Singer Donnie on Being "Out" and Gays and the Black Church

There is a substantial buzz around Donnie, the velvet-voiced R&B singer/songwriter formerly signed to Motown and now going the independent route. Much of the talk is around his newly-released sophomore album, The Daily News, whose messaging is evocative of Donny Hathaway or Marvin Gaye in the late 1960s or early 1970s.

Even more people are responding to Donnie's refreshingly honest discussions of his sexuality and social perceptions around black gay men. Jasmyne Cannick and John Polly at New Now Next just scored fabulous interviews where an emotional Donnie opens up on many topics—including being out in the industry, black gay men, and, the black church. He has substantial experience in the latter department—being a pastor's son and growing up in Pentecostal.

On being out in the industry:

I think it’s helped my career tremendously. I am not trying to be seen on tv just to sell millions and get Grammy’s. That’s not my goal...I’ve never been this vocal about about my sexuality. It’s liberating. People can’t handle us. I know men that call me a faggot but are attracted to me. Calling me a sissy and wanting to go home with me after the show.

On the black church and homophobia:

[T]hey do not think homosexuality is right. I don’t think it’s real with a lot of my people. Most of the church choirs you see on TV, the tenor section is a bunch of queens. And it’s the truth! And in the alto section and the soprano section, it’s a bunch of dykes. You have some straight women, but in certain choirs, the whole choir is gay. But you’re sitting up singing, "Oh Jesus!" to people who hate your very existence—and you hate your very existence.

And on the "down-low":

I had a friend, I went to his funeral because...He was a married man who would get these little thug boys, you get what I mean? He’s married but he would get these thug boys and get with them. And he was murdered...he picked up a little thug boy [who] had a gun, and they probably fought. People aren’t saying a bunch of stuff, but I know what happened. It’s like you have to do that, instead of being you, and it gets you killed.

As you can see, Donnie is most outspoken and refuses to be quiet about his sexuality and problems within the black community. At times during his rather emotional interview with John Polly, he touched upon issues surrounding abuse, mental illness and low self-esteem. The conversation probably became much more revealing than expected he abruptly ended the Q&A.

G

glamfunk84

I love this guy's material, he should come out with more albums.

nivi

Reaction score
Pentecostals,Mormons & Baptists are hardcore on the gay issue. Too much unfounded hate in the name of an imaginary person (god).

S

Squallmuzza

Don't forget the crazy Evangelists!

I had one of them come up and scream at me and the bf on the train because we were standing close together. We weren't even sharing tongue!

Nicely though, the rest of carriage were really supportive. Lots of encouraging looks, gave me a warm glow all day.

G

glamfunk84

Here's a funny but great tidbit, Donnie is a distant second cousin to Marvin Gaye's family. Marvin's father was originally brought up in Lexington, KY in the same church where Donnie was raised at.

Funnier thing is he sounds more like DONNY HATHAWAY than MARVIN. ;)

Maybe his mama was up to somethin' when she named him "Donnie". :p