• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access.

By joining you will gain full access to thousands of Videos, Pictures & Much More.

Membership is absolutely FREE and registration is FAST & SIMPLE so please, Register Today and join one of the friendliest communities on the net!

You must be at least 18 years old to legally access this forum.
  • Hello Guest,

Thanks for remaining an active member on GayHeaven. We hope you've enjoyed the forum so far.

Our records indicate that you have not posted on our forums in several weeks. Why not dismiss this notice & make your next post today by doing one of the following:
    • General Discussion Area - Engage in a conversation with other members.
    • Gay Picture Collections - Share any pictures you may have collected from blogs and other sites. Don't know how to post? Click HERE to visit our easy 3-steps tutorial for picture posting.
    • Show Yourself Off - Brave enough to post your own pictures or videos? Let us see, enjoy & comment on that for you.
    • Gay Clips - Start sharing hot video clips you may have. Don't know how to get started? Click HERE to view our detailed tutorial for video posting.
    As you can see there are a bunch of options mentioned in here and much more available for you to start participating today! Before making your first post, please don't forget to read the Forum Rules.

Active and contributing members will earn special ranks. Click HERE to view the full list of ranks & privileges given to active members & how you can easily obtain them.

Please do not flood the forum with "Thank you" posts. Instead, please use the "thanks button"

We Hope you enjoy the forum & thanks for your efforts!
    The GayHeaven Team.
  • Dear GayHeaven users,

We are happy to announce that we have successfully upgraded our forum to a new more reliable and overall better platform called XenForo.
    Any feedback is welcome and we hope you get to enjoy this new platform for years and years to come and, as always, happy posting!

GH Team

High-Pressure Hydraulics by Citro?n

jeanlouis

V.I.P Member
Reaction score
New badges for the late DS

From 1970 any model of D range has a logo at the right rear. New motor and new badge for 1973.

Notice also the new rear lights

Why not a DS 23 for 2023 ?

Last edited:

jeanlouis

V.I.P Member
Reaction score
Citroën ads checking

"For 13.800 F you have the choice between a car and a DS" say the ads in the magazine.
Only, is the DSpécial model 1970 really a DS ? First, assisted steering and directional headlights are in option.

A smaller wheel controls the assisted steering. In the DSpécial there is no clock neither, of course, hydraulic gearbox.

A more powerful engine and some external differences for the DS, the painted roof for example.

The DSpécial interior is available only of simili (plastic).

If the DSpécial cost 13.800 F, let's add 30 % for one DS 20 or 57 % for one DS 21 electronic injection.
And not to mention the Pallas version!

Last edited:

jeanlouis

V.I.P Member
Reaction score
DS and GS English version

Cabriolet DS 21

DS 21 IE Pallas 1972

Left driving on the left, right driving on the right.
The branch of the wheel and the switch key remain on the same side.

jeanlouis

V.I.P Member
Reaction score
Gina Lollobrigida gone recently.

Famous Italian actress Gina Lollobrigida (1927 - 2023) presents the DS for the magazine Paris-Match in 1955.

The same at the scale 1/43

The magazine had the exclusivity for publishing the first DS photos with the star. Because of a printers strike, the article was never published. After Paris motorshow 1955, it was too late.

Instead of this article, the magazine Paris-Match published the first test of the DS. What a difference compared with the old Traction!

Always looking for spectacular shots, the Paris-Match journalist drove the car at 100 km/h on the small country roads.

At this time, it is yet some handmade pre-serie models

Last edited:

jeanlouis

V.I.P Member
Reaction score
Ford, an embarrassing neighbor at Paris motorshow 1975

No more DS, SM or GS Birotor at this motorshow but, from 2CV Spécial to CX Prestige, a lot of news however.

jeanlouis

V.I.P Member
Reaction score
Almost as famous as Gina Lollobrigida for the Citroënist, the unknown lady wearing a coat of fur who presented the SM in March 1970. What is she become today ?

Last edited:

jeanlouis

V.I.P Member
Reaction score
Fifty years after, we know there was a photolibrary Citroën intended to the journalist during the SM launch.
Only it is not yet possible to test the new model.

Careful guys, no publishable before the opening of Geneva motorshow 1970 !

Andre Martin, the Citroën photographer, liked to shot in woods as you guessed it.

jeanlouis

V.I.P Member
Reaction score
CX and XM for being of use to VIP

Some CX familiales for the Bluebell Girls of Lido, in Paris.

CX then XM for the tennismen of the International Roland Garros Championship during ten years.

For RTL, the radio station.

For the Show of Artists and Decorators.

jeanlouis

V.I.P Member
Reaction score
What semi-automatic transmission for the GS?
The hydraulic gearbox derived from the DS was too expensive. Citroën chose the torque converter for his new model, an option at the catalog only 3 months after the presentation, early 1971. This device, designed by Verto (subsidiary of Ferodo), is associated to a classic 3 speeds gearbox. Electro-hydraulic clutch is automatic.

Working principle of the torque converter.

The small middle turbine fitted on a back wheel allow to multiplicate by 2 or 2.2 the torque at starting.
Without this device, it would be a simple hydraulic coupler.

The torque converter is using the same oil than the one of the gearbox, a special oil developed by Total.

Less 10 km/h for the maxi speed, the small 1015 cm3 of the GS is too weak for compensating the inevitable slidding of the torque converter. This issue is added to the numerous problems of the early GS.

Above : The amazing ashtray of the first GS.
Torque converter was also at the GS break catalog until 1974.

From 1976, the logo "converter" is replaced by "CMatic". The owner of this GS knows the two pedals driving happiness, like in a true DS!
From 1973, the converter is saved to the 1220 cm3 engine. Then, this semi-automatic GS become more performing.
This option stay at the GSA catalog until 1982 (only 1300 cm3).

Last edited:

jeanlouis

V.I.P Member
Reaction score
The same for the CX CMatic in 1975.

I am happy, this time the document is in English!

At the opposite of the GS, we have a large brake pedal and a "parking" position, like on the automatic cars.

In July 1980, Citroën present a real automatic CX equiped with a ZF gearbox 3 speeds, 2 epicycloidal gears. Maybe too late...

CX Prestige Automatic

Comparative diagram CX : manual 5 speeds - automatic 3 speeds - CMatic.
1980 is the last year for CX 2400 CMatic.
1981 is the last year for CX 2400 carburettor.

1984 : The new automatic BX equiped also with a ZF gearbox, 4 speeds this time.
The fourth speed is directly driven by the motor, without unpleasant converter slidding.

Last edited:

jeanlouis

V.I.P Member
Reaction score
Renault, already in 1958 with Frégate Transfluide.

Here, it is the motor oil that is used for the torque converter. Notice the automatic clutch with a classic cable control.
A the opposite of the Citroën-Verto system, this clutch is separated from the converter.

For explaining the torque converter working, Renault use the image of 2 opposed bowls filled with oil.
In 1934, André Citroën wanted already to fit a torque converter driving a 2 speeds gearbox on the Traction, named the 7 at this time. For the search office, it was the turbine. Oils of this age could not resist and the turbine overheated in the slopes. It was a disaster.

Last edited:

jeanlouis

V.I.P Member
Reaction score
Maybe you know the TV serie "Les Petits Meurtres d'Agatha Christie" season 1.
There is a Citroën 15/6 Traction with some interesting accessories. Sorry, it is not a 15/6 H...

Lambert and Nivelles wheels assembled only at Forest in Belgium or during the Michelin strike at spring 1950.

Grégoire rear suspension. The engineer added two traction springs working horizontaly. Then he got a variable flexibility according the load of the rear axle that allowed some smaller torsion bars and a smoother suspension.

"Mathematicaly perfect" said the ads! Look at the first post of this thread for more details about the problems of the metallic suspensions.

Engineer Jean-Albert Gregoire looking at "his" Hotchkiss-Gregoire, an aerodynamical model equiped with some variable flexibility suspensions. Among his references, we can see one Traction behind.

Another accessory, this pretty wheel that I don't know.

15/6 H high position. There is only 3 positions : high, road, low. The mechanical control is in the trunk.

After the 15/6 H, appeared in May 1954, the Master of the Front Wheel Drive did barely no more sell his rear suspension for Traction. Notice the anti-rolling bar and the longer torsion bars for the 15/6 H front axle.
J.A Gregoire him, did not accord the front axle with the rear axle.

Last edited:

jeanlouis

V.I.P Member
Reaction score
DS Pallas in 1970 and today

Fabric interior and leather interior in option.

The happy winner of the millionth DS photographied at Citroën showroom Champs-Elysées Paris. It is a DS 21 Pallas IE.

Last edited:

jeanlouis

V.I.P Member
Reaction score
Three Citroën above 200 km/h, three ages.

Special feature of the SM : It need a long run to get its maxi speed. It is because of a high weight and the average torque of the Maserati engine. On the old Montlhéry circuit it was not possible. The magazine L'Automobile recorded 228 km/h on a deserted Spanish motorway. Sometimes it was only 206 km/h when it could not take advantage of its aerodynamical profil. The constructor indicated 220 for the SM carburettor and 228 for the injection model.