• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access.

By joining you will gain full access to thousands of Videos, Pictures & Much More.

Membership is absolutely FREE and registration is FAST & SIMPLE so please, Register Today and join one of the friendliest communities on the net!

You must be at least 18 years old to legally access this forum.
  • Hello Guest,

Thanks for remaining an active member on GayHeaven. We hope you've enjoyed the forum so far.

Our records indicate that you have not posted on our forums in several weeks. Why not dismiss this notice & make your next post today by doing one of the following:
    • General Discussion Area - Engage in a conversation with other members.
    • Gay Picture Collections - Share any pictures you may have collected from blogs and other sites. Don't know how to post? Click HERE to visit our easy 3-steps tutorial for picture posting.
    • Show Yourself Off - Brave enough to post your own pictures or videos? Let us see, enjoy & comment on that for you.
    • Gay Clips - Start sharing hot video clips you may have. Don't know how to get started? Click HERE to view our detailed tutorial for video posting.
    As you can see there are a bunch of options mentioned in here and much more available for you to start participating today! Before making your first post, please don't forget to read the Forum Rules.

Active and contributing members will earn special ranks. Click HERE to view the full list of ranks & privileges given to active members & how you can easily obtain them.

Please do not flood the forum with "Thank you" posts. Instead, please use the "thanks button"

We Hope you enjoy the forum & thanks for your efforts!
    The GayHeaven Team.
  • Dear GayHeaven users,

We are happy to announce that we have successfully upgraded our forum to a new more reliable and overall better platform called XenForo.
    Any feedback is welcome and we hope you get to enjoy this new platform for years and years to come and, as always, happy posting!

GH Team

Why do so many kids have autism now?

trepik

Reaction score
I do not engage in speculation. Without reading the study itself (and others) and checking the data etc. The name of the study isn't mentioned in the article, at least I didn't find a link. Only the year, 2009, the paper and the autor.

Empiric science works in a form of discourse and this article refers to only one study in a line of many.

But if the authors demand the reduction of anti-insect-pesticides I think that's a good thing in any case.

Then ask somebody from the scientific community who knows all the studies and has critically reviewed them. ;)

Here is the link:

The Rise in Autism and the Role of Age at Diagnosis

Hertz-Picciotto, Irvaa,b; Delwiche, Loraa
Epidemiology: January 2009 - Volume 20 - Issue 1 - p 84-90
doi: 10.1097/EDE.0b013e3181902d15
Early Development: Original Article

There is also some follow up material in July of the same year.

Now that you have the link, you might comment further.

2009 is relatively recent. It's peer reviewed. And not all that controversial in the final sum.

The core of science is not to close one's mind to opposing viewpoints. You made the same point yourself in an earlier post.:)

Happy reading and looking forward to hearing your views now that you have the relevant link.

cranston

Reaction score
I guess in socially less-advanced countries doctors and parents have probably never heard of autism, just like it was in Germany or Canada in the 70s or 80s. In Russia f.e. a diagnosis of autism rarely ever happens and the topic is only on the public agenda for on about seven years.

The public recognition of autism was accomplished by activits, not so much by pharma marketing.

And today it's a certain Western trait that parents look much closer at their children then they did 20 or 40 years ago. The numbers of adult persons who get a diagnosis is rising in the West too.

I was actually referring to Canada as a less socially-advanced country, not Russia.
Anon URL
As well we are practically a 51st state of the US as far as pharmaceutical and psychiatric research, we rely very much on American government studies which are often biased by dark money and shady campaign contributions.

ihno

Daughter of Deuterium
Reaction score
I was actually referring to Canada as a less socially-advanced country, not Russia.
Anon URL
As well we are practically a 51st state of the US as far as pharmaceutical and psychiatric research, we rely very much on American government studies which are often biased by dark money and shady campaign contributions.

The government site I have linked looked very much like it would in Germany.

There may be differences I don't know about though. In Germany it's normally not just up to only one doctor. You often have more than one and you have the health agencies and the local public service which is almost always involved in cases of autism.

The public service can question the quality. This is in cases in which a pupil gets a helper for school (inclusion) or some other things are partially paid publically.

And the health service demands that if medication is used, cheap plagiates should be used, not the expensive originals. They would not pay them.

So there are some control mechanisms which can counteract the lobbyism of the pharma industry a bit, which of course is a problem in Germany too.

Tottrop

Reaction score
The government site I have linked looked very much like it would in Germany.

There may be differences I don't know about though. In Germany it's normally not just up to only one doctor. You often have more than one and you have the health agencies and the local public service which is almost always involved in cases of autism.

The public service can question the quality. This is in cases in which a pupil gets a helper for school (inclusion) or some other things are partially paid publically.

And the health service demands that if medication is used, cheap plagiates should be used, not the expensive originals. They would not pay them.

So there are some control mechanisms which can counteract the lobbyism of the pharma industry a bit, which of course is a problem in Germany too.

I wonder though, who manufactures and profits from the so called 'generic' non-brands?

Do you know off-hand?

Tottrop

Reaction score
Anon URL

Why so tough on Canada?

I do not live there, but how bad can it be?:?

haiducii

Super Vip
Reaction score
Some general infos about autism in Slovenia

In 2007, the General Assembly of the United Nations adopted a resolution declaring 2 April World Autism Awareness Day.

Since the very beginning Ljubljana is marking this day aimed at raising awareness on autism and stressing the importance of early diagnosis of autism as well as timely and appropriate assistance to the individual.

LINK -> World Autism Awareness Month in Ljubljana

In Slovenia there are approximately 20,000 people with autism or disorders on the autistic spectrum, and each year 200 children are born with this disorder in our country.

The Association of NGO warns that the current conditions for people with autism in Slovenia are still very difficult. "We need much more knowledge in the field of social care, health, much more support in schools at all levels of education, and not least we also need more support in getting these people employed and helping them keep their jobs," the association writes.

LINK -> Project ZORA

The target group of the project ZORA are autistic children and youth as a group of special needs children, parents of children with autism, who are a vulnerable group due to the day-to-day burden, and professionals who work with autistic individuals in the field of healthcare, education and social affairs.

Tottrop

Reaction score
I wonder which is more effective on the whole, talk therapy or medication? Both in concert of course, but which makes the best contribution?