• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access.

By joining you will gain full access to thousands of Videos, Pictures & Much More.

Membership is absolutely FREE and registration is FAST & SIMPLE so please, Register Today and join one of the friendliest communities on the net!

You must be at least 18 years old to legally access this forum.
  • Hello Guest,

Thanks for remaining an active member on GayHeaven. We hope you've enjoyed the forum so far.

Our records indicate that you have not posted on our forums in several weeks. Why not dismiss this notice & make your next post today by doing one of the following:
    • General Discussion Area - Engage in a conversation with other members.
    • Gay Picture Collections - Share any pictures you may have collected from blogs and other sites. Don't know how to post? Click HERE to visit our easy 3-steps tutorial for picture posting.
    • Show Yourself Off - Brave enough to post your own pictures or videos? Let us see, enjoy & comment on that for you.
    • Gay Clips - Start sharing hot video clips you may have. Don't know how to get started? Click HERE to view our detailed tutorial for video posting.
    As you can see there are a bunch of options mentioned in here and much more available for you to start participating today! Before making your first post, please don't forget to read the Forum Rules.

Active and contributing members will earn special ranks. Click HERE to view the full list of ranks & privileges given to active members & how you can easily obtain them.

Please do not flood the forum with "Thank you" posts. Instead, please use the "thanks button"

We Hope you enjoy the forum & thanks for your efforts!
    The GayHeaven Team.
  • Dear GayHeaven users,

We are happy to announce that we have successfully upgraded our forum to a new more reliable and overall better platform called XenForo.
    Any feedback is welcome and we hope you get to enjoy this new platform for years and years to come and, as always, happy posting!

GH Team

High-Pressure Hydraulics by Citro?n

jeanlouis

V.I.P Member
Reaction score
High pressure brakes after the DS pedal

The Citroën high pressure father Paul Magès could be proud of his special brakes control because it was long and difficult to replace it. This system was left with the last DS estate in 1976. The repartition according the load on the rear axle remains the main problem of the valve ID19 type.

Operation of ID, GS, CX brake control valve :

In some circumstances there is too much brake at the rear wheels. A limitator is added on CX estate then on all the models.

Operation of BX and CX brake control compensator valve starting 1982

The rear brake slide valve is modified to improve the repartition according the load (see the diagram).

In 1989 with the XM, ABS become current. A third slide valve is added to the high pressure brake control and a simulator of stroke appear behind the pedal to increase it progressivity. Same to Xantia.

jeanlouis

V.I.P Member
Reaction score
First DS 19 Pallas model 1965

On this photo from Paris Motorshow 1964, we can see 3 new models :
- Foreground on the right, Panhard 24BT
- 2 DS19 Pallas, grey Palladium (Pallas specific colour) and white Carrare
- Behind, Ami 6 estate

DS 19 Pallas 1965 made at Slough in England

DS 19 or 21 Pallas model 1966 with new wheels 380 mm diameter recognizing to flat wheel trims. One of the last DS made at Slough.

The five last photos are from the movie "Le Samouraï" directed by Jean-Pierre Melville (1967) where Alain Delon is stealing a beautiful DS Pallas. We can see him with a big ring of keys testing it one by one then quickly starting. Thank you RONIS ! :)

Last edited:

jeanlouis

V.I.P Member
Reaction score
Test Match - Classic Cars - September 1990

Amazing this DSuper 5 with a DS brakes button. I presume that Citroën, in autumn 72, recycled some unsold DS 21 5 speeds to DSuper 5. :thinking:

Last edited:

jeanlouis

V.I.P Member
Reaction score

In early sixties, French people was Anquetil or Poulidor like he was DS or 404. ;) We can see this contrast in the movie "L'âge ingrat" (Gilles Grangier - 1964) that is barely a documentary about this age. Jean Gabin, serious technician at the Railways, defends 404 and Fernandel, rich trader in southern France, is a great citroënist. They have to marry their child and it will be not easy! Both actors are matching perfectly with their car. :)

Last edited:

VanpozBB

Reaction score

In early sixties, French people was Anquetil or Poulidor like he was DS or 404. ;) We can see this contrast in the movie "L'âge ingrat" (Gilles Grangier - 1964) that is barely a documentary about this age. Jean Gabin, serious technician at the Railways, defends 404 and Fernandel, rich trader in southern France, is a great citroënist. They have to marry their child and it will be not easy! Both actors are matching perfectly with their car. :)

Not a thread I expected to see but as a long-time Citroen fan one I am very happy with. My first car was a Dyane 6 and my parents had a GS, a GSA & a BX in the late 70's to early 90's. The brakes were incredibly powerful and fairly easy to modulate (obviously this was pre-ABS) but for me the original GS stands out as the best of the three. It was pure Citroen quirkiness in so many ways, small capacity air-cooled flat four and Hydropeumatic suspension that could compensate for a blowout at speed.

jeanlouis

V.I.P Member
Reaction score
Not a thread I expected to see but as a long-time Citroen fan one I am very happy with. My first car was a Dyane 6 and my parents had a GS, a GSA & a BX in the late 70's to early 90's. The brakes were incredibly powerful and fairly easy to modulate (obviously this was pre-ABS) but for me the original GS stands out as the best of the three. It was pure Citroen quirkiness in so many ways, small capacity air-cooled flat four and Hydropeumatic suspension that could compensate for a blowout at speed.

Thank you for your comment VanpozBB
The brakes pedal without play can be upsetting for a classical car driver.
Only the pressure on the control make the intensity of the brake. You have just to put the foot on the pedal. I read again brakes testing of the magazine L'Auto-Journal and I noticed that the effort on the control is nearly the same than for another car (at 100 Km/h with assistance). Most of the time the journalist had to reduce the pressure of the foot because of some wheels blocages. He reduced to 5 Kg for the DSpecial in 1974 ! Of course it was before ABS brakes.

jeanlouis

V.I.P Member
Reaction score
Kinky starting for the CX

When CX is presented in 1974, just after the first oil crisis, Citroën meets some serious economical difficulties. In these hard times, the constructor hesitate yet about the place of his new model. At the origin this car is expected as an intermediate car between GS and DS. Even a low cost version 2000 E at 17.000 F is planed with a long 4th ratio speed and reduction to reduce consumption. Only SM will have to replace DS in a 4 doors version. After testing a prototype CX 2200 with the SM assisted steering, the stylist Robert Opron alerts Citroën staff about the road qualities of this model that deserve better than an intermediate place in Citroën range. At Paris motorshow 1975, with CX Prestige on the podium, no more doubt, the replacement of the DS is born.

Peugeot, the new Citroën owner, looked seriously at cost prices of all the models, to bad for the unfortunate customer. CX is much more expensive than DS then the cost price is lower. About hydraulics, we saw it above : no more hydraulics gearbox and clutch, brakes control and assisted steering simplified. Only, in 1976, we are already very far from the economic model expected. I believe that CX 2000 E version was never manufactured.

Last edited:

jeanlouis

V.I.P Member
Reaction score
Citroën during GTI mania of the eighties

CX GTI - BX GTI - BX GTI 16 V - 1987

The comfortable interior of CX GTI Turbo or Prestige was also available in option for the versions GTI, 22TRS or 25 TRD Turbo 2.

L'Automobile Magazine May 1987, in the middle of the GTI fashion where any constructor must have a GTI at its catalog.

The magazine had invented a GTI thermometer ! :eek:
205 GTI 1.9 liter -130 HP- arrived first with 50 pts

Volkswagen was the first to use this name GTI on its Golf model in 1976.
Here the most performing version 16 V.

Visa GTI is a mechanical and front axle 205 GTI assembled on a Peugeot 104 plateform of Visa, typical PSA group.

BX GTI has only GTI the name

Same to CX GTI Turbo, that had not at all the GTI spirit. At this age most of these cars were sold in Diesel or Turbo Diesel version.

Last edited:

jeanlouis

V.I.P Member
Reaction score
Last token of André Citroën in Paris, the window of the French constructor on Champs-Elysées has disappeared :(

Before to assemble his first car, André Citroën had already a store on the prestigious parisian avenue. He knew that the most difficult for him, the newcomer, will be to sell his cars. He needed some reputation. His friend, Fernand Charron lends him the first floor of his store.

In 1927 the young constructor found a location at 42 Champs-Elysées and will no more move. The store is totally rebuilt in 1932 to receive the new range 8-10-15 named later Rosalie. Notice the huge window.

1936, the beginning of a long Traction age !

Citroën don't believe to automobile competition but it accept yet to welcome the 15-6 of a customer who arrived at the third place at Monte-Carlo Rally. (1953)

This frame was made for the motorshow. (1954)

A special set created for the arrival of the Queen Elisabeth II. (1957)

At this age last Traction 11 CV border first ID 19.

1960 - ID and DS aligned hiding a poor 2CV alone

Last edited:

jeanlouis

V.I.P Member
Reaction score

Starting the sixtees, the showroom welcome a lot of Citroën events, especially arrivals of raids or rallies. Above two Ami 6 estate after a France tour. The white is shown at Champs-Elysées, the red at Opéra. At this time, in 1967, the constructor had also a prestigious showroom in this quarter of Paris.

Africa Raid in 2CV

Notice the Ligier JS2, Maserati engine, behind the GS. Citroën exhibited not only his cars but also those he sold : last Panhard 24, Ligier JS2, Autobianchi in early seventies.

The first CX Prestige, 3 months before Paris Motorshow 1975.

After a long trip in Afghanistan, André Costa, "L'Auto-Journal" journalist, leaves his GS estate at Citroën.

1977 - GS with arrows

1977 - LN, the first Peugeot-Citroën : Ami 8 motor and Peugeot 104 coach body.

Last edited:

jeanlouis

V.I.P Member
Reaction score
Modern times

1984 - 2004 : Hippopotamus restaurant at the first floor, Citroën cars above.
Profitability before all !

In 2007 the showroom is eighty. The building is totally rebuilt with some floors added. Named C42 for "Chevrons, 42 Champs-Elysées", a second and short life is beginning. Special feature : a big tree of cars in the middle.
Bought by a Qatari edge fund in 2012, Citroên could no more pay the rent of this store at the end. It is closed since 31 december 2017 :(:(:(

Last edited:

jeanlouis

V.I.P Member
Reaction score
Amazing rear trunk of the GS

The lowest step ever and only level partitions

Rare 3 doors estate full glazed

This compact and flat rear axle allows a trunk with a parallelepipede form.
Starting the GS, any hydropneumatic Citroën have this trunk design.

Marketing department found a pleasant way to illustrate the big volume of the luggage compartment

A little company proposed this kinky drawer to improve the access

If a car was parked too near from your GS, impossible to open the trunk!
In 1979, GSA with its 5th door fixed this issue but you had to lift higher the load.

With the BX, easy access and low step door are at last brought together.

Spare wheel under the floor and fixed rear bumper, make the trunk of BX higher and more flat than the one of GS.

Last edited:

jeanlouis

V.I.P Member
Reaction score
Citroën GS Panhard ?

First GS are too soon marketed and become quickly some controversial cars.
No start by cold weather, big gas consumption, gas smell, various noises (front axle, gearbox, brakes). More, the motor, too weak at low regime, makes the GS unpleasant to drive in blocked towns. This flexibility lack remind old drivers of Panhard cars. It give me the idea to oppose Panhard 24 BT (with Tiger engine) to Citroën GS 1015 cm3. If the GS was the saloon 4 doors Panhard 24 that has never existed, the old constructor being left by Citroën in 1967 ?

From the magazine "L'Automobile"

Among Panhard 24 models, it was CT version (Coupé, Tiger motor), B (Berline) BT (Berline, Tiger motor). By looking to the drawing we realize that Berline (2 doors) name is exaggerated. It is lacking about 10 centimeters high. We have only a large coach 2+2, 25 centimeters longer than a coach 24 CT.

More silencious, GS engine is also more greedy in gas than the one of the 24 Tiger.

When the Panhard 24 is out, Citroën GS has the time for getting better. Starting 73 models, most of the problems are solved.

Last edited:

jeanlouis

V.I.P Member
Reaction score
Ultimate Panhard 24

Paul Panhard, the nephew of the founder René Panhard, is cuting off the anniversary cake at Paris motorshow 1965 (75th anniversary). It is one of his last pleasure, next year it will be the last motorshow for the company.

Panhard continue, for the moment. Pierre Bercot, Citroën president on the left, Michel Maurice-Bokanovski, industry minister of General de Gaulle on the right.

Estate, convertible, 4 doors saloon, Panhard would like to create a complete range 24 as he did it for the 17. Only, after Citroën-Panhard merger in 1965, Pierre Bercot refuses any new development for the 24 model. He is seeing in this car one direct competitor to the future Citroën 6 CV. It is a slow death for the old constructor.

The stopping of Panhard 24, after only four years manufacturing (1963-1967), don't mean totally the end. Citroën Research and Development Office assemble some 24 bodies on shortened DS frames for making prototypes. They can test this way some powerful DS engines 2 OHC.

Same to V6 Maserati, Panhard 24 CT body on shortened SM frame.

Even an helicopter created by the engineer Charles Dechaux with two 24 CT bodies! (1972)

Last edited:

jeanlouis

V.I.P Member
Reaction score
Panhard 24 with Renault 8 engine
(From a sunday engineer, I don't think it would be allowed today)

Panhard 24 CT last model with disk brakes, engine R8 1100 cm3 equiped of one Autobleu kit. Power equal to the flat twin Panhard Tiger but the torque is much better. Notice the welcome add of a depressure assistance brakes, only the profil of the car and its gravity center are seriously modified X_X

Last edited:

jeanlouis

V.I.P Member
Reaction score
DS : Flying carpet, rocket or plane without wings ?

TAP 1973 (Portugal)

Harder will be the fall ! 1000 Lakes Rally in Finland

Paris Motorshow 1962 : Citroën enhances the value of DS new front face.

"Diploma di Gran Premio" : in 1957, for the first time a car wins this award at the 11th Triennale of Milan that was (or is yet?) a decorative art exhibition.

The same model next year at Brussels

From the catalog DS 1959

jeanlouis

V.I.P Member
Reaction score

During a long time, 2CV and ID19 was a well-known cars couple at home. Often 2CV was the first car of Mrs and ID replaced a worn-out old Traction (my uncle for example).