• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access.

By joining you will gain full access to thousands of Videos, Pictures & Much More.

Membership is absolutely FREE and registration is FAST & SIMPLE so please, Register Today and join one of the friendliest communities on the net!

You must be at least 18 years old to legally access this forum.
  • Hello Guest,

Thanks for remaining an active member on GayHeaven. We hope you've enjoyed the forum so far.

Our records indicate that you have not posted on our forums in several weeks. Why not dismiss this notice & make your next post today by doing one of the following:
    • General Discussion Area - Engage in a conversation with other members.
    • Gay Picture Collections - Share any pictures you may have collected from blogs and other sites. Don't know how to post? Click HERE to visit our easy 3-steps tutorial for picture posting.
    • Show Yourself Off - Brave enough to post your own pictures or videos? Let us see, enjoy & comment on that for you.
    • Gay Clips - Start sharing hot video clips you may have. Don't know how to get started? Click HERE to view our detailed tutorial for video posting.
    As you can see there are a bunch of options mentioned in here and much more available for you to start participating today! Before making your first post, please don't forget to read the Forum Rules.

Active and contributing members will earn special ranks. Click HERE to view the full list of ranks & privileges given to active members & how you can easily obtain them.

Please do not flood the forum with "Thank you" posts. Instead, please use the "thanks button"

We Hope you enjoy the forum & thanks for your efforts!
    The GayHeaven Team.
  • Dear GayHeaven users,

We are happy to announce that we have successfully upgraded our forum to a new more reliable and overall better platform called XenForo.
    Any feedback is welcome and we hope you get to enjoy this new platform for years and years to come and, as always, happy posting!

GH Team

What's the last or current Movie you Watched ?

taurus2904

Obstinatician
Reaction score
The Greatest Showman

One of my co-workers offered to pay the way if I'd go with her to see "The Greatest Showman," since most of her friends don't like musicals. I was ho-him about the movie after seeing several ads and trailers, but I took her up on the offer.

Here's the blurb from IMDB: "Inspired by the imagination of P.T. Barnum, The Greatest Showman is an original musical that celebrates the birth of show business and tells of a visionary who rose from nothing to create a spectacle that became a worldwide sensation."

If you like musicals, you may be able to tolerate this. If you are indifferent to or don't like musicals, skip it. The musical numbers are juxtaposed against the time period -- dance/pop and flash-mob in Victorian(-esque) clothing. More on this later.

Some of the songs are catchy and do drive some of the story. Some were just too hard to understand clearly -- the lyrics being either mumbled or drowned out by the music, or simply overworked and chewed out. Some were wrought with sentimentality or schmaltz. There are a lot of songs, often more than dialogue. Even though I do like musicals, there were sometimes way too many songs and the use of auto-tune brought things down a notch.

Same goes for the CGI -- sometimes it was glaringly obvious. Same goes for make-up -- some close-ups of the bearded lady showed edges of the facial hair appliances that would have earned severe criticism -- and probable elimination -- on the US TV special-effects make-up show, "Face-Off." The tallest man was clearly on stilts, his feet made definite impressions in his trousers which could not be mistaken for knees, as those were also noticeable -- giving the sense he had two sets of knees. (By this point, I'm starting to sound like the theatre critic in the story, Bennett -- a critic who doesn't enjoy entertainment.)

As to costuming -- several outfits are jarringly out of place for the period. Granted, most are beautiful pieces -- Jenny Lind, the Swedish Nightingale, (played wonderfully by Rebecca Ferguson) has some glorious gowns that would make many of today's red carpet best dressed lists -- but knits, as used, and spandex just weren't around in the late-1800s. Many of the outfits and costumes would be either scandalous in the Victorian era or simply would not exist.

Hugh Jackman, as P. T. Barnum, is charismatic, good looking, talented in song and dance; he brings an eager earnestness to the role. The Barnum presented in the movie, though, is a modern day semi-revisionist one -- that his show was done, and cast collected, as much out of the goodness of his heart as it was, also, about making a buck and improving his station.

Themes of diversity and inclusiveness, while laudable to current eyes and sensibilities, are reflective of the contemporary tendency to view history through a modern lens. I believe this does a disservice to history and presents a fake feeling of superiority of the modern mind. It lacks integrity, to the past and the present.

Michelle Williams plays Charity Hallett Barnum. She is one of the most underrated actresses of our day. She turns in performances that are both heart wrenching and heart lifting, often with merely an expression or the look in her eyes. Sadly, some of her musical numbers are auto-tuned within an inch of life and one costume looks like a discount store bathrobe. She turns in basically a solid performance and tries to be the moral touchstone, most of the time.

Zac Efron, who plays investor (later partner) embodied in New York high-society scion, Phillip Carlyle, brings his musical talents to the fore -- though not on a level like Jackman. His end points and dancer lines are just not as strong or defined, but they are good. Later in the film, he does present a stronger character as Barnum goes slightly off the rails, no pun intended.

The business negotiation/song-and-dance sequence with Jackman and Efron -- held in a barroom with whiskey shots -- simmers with subtle homoeroticism, each in turn eyeing the other as a potential business investment. A practiced eye might notice some other eyeballing, though. (My female co-worker leaned over to whisper, "Did Zac just quirk an eyebrow at Hugh's basket?" To which I replied, "Just like Hugh did to Zac's butt!")

Zendaya, who plays trapeze artist/aerialist and Zac's love interest, Anne Wheeler, gives strong and touching performances that hint at larger roles heading her way.

Michael Gracey, in his directorial debut, does bring sincerity to his work, but often with a commercial glitz. He is known in Australia for his commercials -- or so the buzz says. Not being Australian, I couldn't say that I know this or his previous work. He presents his vision in edge-to-edge, corner-to-corner grandeur -- the entire movie screen is filled! There are great swaths of visually stunning cinematography with strong color and light, wonderfully framed vistas and scenes packed with crowds and interesting deep-scene action. Not sure if those crowds are extras or CGI. Other times, some scenes are so low light that they are hard to read or just muddy and muddled.

There is a prelude to the film where Gracey and Jackman point out this was meant to be enjoyed on the big screen. With the way it was filmed, that's true -- much detail and impact would be lost otherwise, perhaps even on the best home theater set-up.

If you're looking for an accurate period piece, you will be disappointed. Depending upon your tastes and likes in musicals, this could go either way. However, if you're looking for an escape, can actively engage suspension of disbelief, then catch a matinee. I couldn't recommend a prime-time ticket price, however.

RefixnarcisM

Jet Black Heart
Reaction score
Mad Max Fury Road. Amazing performance of Charlize Theron. Love her so much.
The Man From U.C.L.A. I demand sequel. This could be a promising franchise.

W!nston

SuperSoftSillyPuppy
Staff member
Reaction score
king-arthur-nine-clips.jpg

King Arthur: Legend of the Sword (2017)

We loved this movie. The story of Arthur told in action rather than fairy tale.

The special effects are top-notch. I was mesmerized by them. The creature of the lake was quite creepy and menacing with all those tentacles. The Hawk looked so real you can almost touch it and feel the powerful gusts of wind from it's wing-strokes. There were so many fantastic scenes augmented with CGI but they all seemed as real as any I've ever seen.

The stunts were state of the art and they were plentiful. Hats off to the stunt guys and the choreographer. I always look forward to great stunts and this movie had them in spades!

The actors all seemed to click with each other. Charlie Hunnam played his part to perfection as did Jude Law. But Eric Bana was at his best and I only wish he had been given more screen time. The entire cast hit every note and every queue with precision. The boys were in sync like a Swiss watch.

The comedy woven into every aspect of the script was nothing less than phenomenal as I've come to expect in Guy Ritchie films. If his name is on the marque I'll be in the queue with all the millions of other Ritchie fans.

We watched this last night. I loved it. Charlie Hunnam is HAWT as King Arthur. The soundtrack is great, too!

I gave it 8 out of 10 stars! I posted the above review on IMDb.

brmstn69

Super Vip
Reaction score
November Criminals...

Like "Veronica Mars", on sedatives...

haiducii

Super Vip
Reaction score
The Killing of a Sacred Deer (2017)

1845147610.jpg

I feel real mental pain after watching 121 minutes of this thing. It makes no sense whatsoever. Only decent thing about this movie is acting, but the stupidity, that is the story, is easily overshadowing it. X_X

The Killing of a Sacred Deer is another Lanthimos bitter pill, but this time with no intellectual chaser.

''Our two children are dying in the other room, but yes, I can make you mashed potatoes tomorrow.''

Shelter

Super Vip
Reaction score
MATTERHORN a film from the Netherlands from 2013.

This movie is just sweet. It has an eerie vibe but that makes it interesting. Faith, love, education, nurture and nature, it's all there when two men who seem to have noting similar, meet in a setting of strict religion and a narrow minded little village. Then events take a weird turn. If you can appreciate a subtle, slow, weird movie made with love this is your kind of thing.

This is what a critic wrote on IMdB and it tells you everything about this film. Marvellous.
A film with much heart. Very recommended.

boimre

Reaction score
I suffered through 2.5 hours of the latest Star Wars--should have been subtitled the Wrath of Stupidity.

peter123

V.I.P Member
Reaction score

Its in german but subtitles are available in many languages via "settings"...

Last edited:

RazzmaTazz

Be Fucking Nice
Reaction score
Before I Wake

A pretty good horror story if you like things like that. Was on Netflix.

daisydog

Reaction score
Call Me By Your Name
Made me realize how much I need a trip to Tuscany!